Board of Directors
The role of the Oakland Alumni Association (OUAA) Board of Directors is to work with the Office of Alumni Engagement staff to carry out the mission and strategic plan of the OUAA to channel the support of this growing body of alumni to accomplish Oakland University’s (OU) institutional priorities of creating productive student and faculty experiences and engaging resources for public good.
To apply, click the button and complete the OUAA Board of Directors Candidate Nomination Form.
Board Members are elected and serve up to two three-year terms.
See the list of current board members and past OUAA presidents.
Mission and Vision
We enrich and engage the lives of alumni, students and friends to promote and advance Oakland University.
We strive to connect and build relationships among alumni, students and community members to advance our growing university.
The 2013-18 Strategic Plan consists of four strategic directions:
- Create opportunities that enhance visibility and deliver positive public opinion about OU
- Support networking opportunities for alumni, students, and friends
- Assist with philanthropy efforts
- Engage alumni and the community in ways that will enhance recruitment efforts and attract the best, brightest and most diverse students to OU
Board Member Responsibilities
- Attend and participate in board meetings. The board will meet at least two times per year and board members may participate by teleconference;
- Approve the organization’s mission and work to achieve it;
- Represent the alumni board at as many regional and campus activities as possible;
- Serve actively on alumni board committees;
- Support OU by contributing on a yearly basis at the highest level possible;
- Work to increase the visibility and vitality of OU and the OUAA;
- Elect board members to be the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, and Treasurer;
- Represent OU and the OUAA by talking with alumni, prospective students, business leaders, and various university leaders, as needed;
- Assist in recruitment of prospective OUAA board members;
- Assist with the solicitation of OUAA sponsorships, and other funds;
- Recommend candidates for the receipt of awards and/or service on the OUAA or other university committees or boards;
- Maintain the confidential nature of board deliberations and avoids acting as spokesperson for the entire board unless specifically authorized to do so;
- Recommend policies and procedures for the functioning of the OUAA;
- Establish an annual budget for Association revenue at the start of each fiscal year;
- Vote according to one’s individual conviction and challenges the judgment of others when necessary, yet remains willing to support the decision of the board and works with fellow board members in a spirit of cooperation;
- Respond to inquiries from Office of Alumni Relations. Primary means of communications will be electronic;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Alumni Board Chairperson.
The 2013-2018 Oakland University Alumni Association Strategic Plan
The 2013-2018 Oakland University Alumni Association Strategic Plan is grounded on the premise that the 100,000 alumni of Oakland University have tremendous assets to offer Oakland University and the communities in which they live. The Oakland University Alumni Association will channel the support of this growing body of alumni to accomplish the institutional priorities of creating productive student and faculty experiences and engaging resources for public good. The OUAA will enhance the visibility of OU among alumni and its community partners and support and develop programs, present and assist with volunteer initiatives, host opportunities to connect alumni and the community and assist with cultivating financial support to the university.
Fully realized, this Strategic Plan will enable the OUAA to achieve a comprehensive program that will engage alumni in a variety of ways and continue or renew their interest in and support to the university for years to come. Read More